In this post, I shall tell you about complete process of jailbreak for iPhone 3Gs. This jailbreak for iOS 5.1.1 is intended for iPhone 3Gs, 4, 4s, iPad 2. This post further illustrates the important aspect of Baseband. Furthermore, you will also learn about creating a custom firmware. What you need is just to follow the steps precise and you will do the magic yourself
While searching online for untethered jail break, many users find the paid websites which provide their own software or ask you to ship your device for jailbreaking. Be aware and do not purchase or send your handset to such service providers as you can do the whole process of jail break yourself.
What is Baseband?
Baseband is very sensitive thing in your device which is responsible for your carrier signals. Before undergoing the untethered jail break, you strongly need to be aware about your baseband version which can be easily seen in General > About. If you have factory unlocked iPhone, you don’t need to be concerned about baseband as no matter which baseband version you use, you will get the signals worldwide. But, if you have locked carrier and you are intending to jailbreak your iPhone to use the sim of any other network, you would strongly need to upgrade your baseband. If you have already upgraded your baseband to 06.15.00 don’t you don’t need to go for baseband upgrade. In this tutorial, we would consider the iPhone 3Gs which is already upgraded to iPad baseband 06.15.00.
What is Custom Firmware?
When an iOS firmware is downloaded it contains all mandatory files which are requisite to run the iOS on iPhone hence it also contains the baseband update by default. If your carried is locked and you are intending to unlock your carrier, you would strongly need to prevent the baseband update. For this purpose, custom firmware is created with the help of Redsn0w which eliminates the baseband update and preserves the iOS update.
To create custom firmware for untethered jail break:
1) Download latest iOS 5.1.1 from Apple Inc.
2) Download latest version of Redsn0w from here.
3) After opening Redsn0w, click Extras.
4) In the next menu, select Custom IPSW.
5) It will load and process the IPSW and after that a message will appear.
6) The most important thing to note in the message is NO_BB prefix with IPSW which indicates that the baseband has been eliminated from IPSW.
Note: After creating the custom IPSW, don’t delete the original IPSW as it would be required to activate your device during Jailbreak.
What You Need for Jailbreak?
Make sure that the battery of your iPhone is Full. After that you neeed:
Applie iTunes Latest Version
iPhone Original Firmware i.e. iOS 5.1.1
iPhone Custom Firmware – created with Redsn0w
Redsn0w latest version
Note: If you are running Windows 7 or Vista always run Redsn0w as Administrator.
Step by Step Process for iOS update to 5.1.1 with Custom Firmware:
Make sure that you have both firmware i.e. Original and Custom IPSW, also ensure that your iPhone battery is full. Furthermore, you should also have installed latest version of iTunes.
1) Open Redsn0w and click extras.
2) Now, click Pawned DFU mode, always remember that if you are trying to install custom firmware, you cannot do it without going into Pawned DFU mode.
3) Make sure that you have turned your device off, now click next.
4) Press the home button for 3 seconds and by holding the power button press home button and also keep it pressed for 10 seconds.
5) After 10 seconds leave the power button but keep the home button pressed for 15 seconds.
6) Redsn0w will recognize the device and it will lead it to Pawned DFU mode.
7) Now open your iTunes, you will see a message that a device is recognized in Recover mode. Just press ok.
Now, keep the Shift button pressed and click restore, it would allow you to select the IPSW from your computer.
9) At this step, you strongly need to be careful as if you do wrong here, you will not be able to get Singals for any carrier in your iPhone 3Gs. So, You strongly need to select the IPSW file with NO_BB prefix i.e. NO_BB_iPhone2,1_5.1.1_9B206_Restore.
10) After selecting the file, let iTune verify and update the iOS, just relax and sit back.
How to Activate After Update:
After installing the updated iOS, you will encounter the activation process, don’t worry or panic, if you remain unable to activate your iPhone, just follow the below mentioned steps:
1) Before going to the jailbreak process, you have to select the original IPSW, for this purpose, open redsn0w, click extras and then click Select IPSW.
2) Find the original downloaded IPSW and select now you can proceed to Jailbreak section, this would not only activate your device but also jailbreak.
Step by Step Process for Jailbreak:
1) This is the tricky methods; you carefully need to follow the instructions to enter the DFU mode. Open Redsn0w and click Jailbreak.
2) On next page, there will instructions, carefully read and understand, its asks about entering the DFU mode.
3) When you click next, just follow the instructions; make sure that before starting jailbreak, you have turned off your device.
4) Press the power button for 3 seconds.
5) Now, holding the power button, press the home button and keep the both button pressed for 10 seconds, you will see the apple screen and after some seconds your phone will turn off again.
6) After 10 seconds release the power button and keep the home button pressed until Redsn0w recognized your device and begin uploading.
7) After uploading files, another menu will appear, check install Cydia, if you have already upgraded your basedband to 06.15.00, uncheck Install iPad Baseband and uncheck rest and click Next.
Note: If you are jailbreaking any device other than 3Gs, you don’t need to upgrade or install any Baseband so for other iDevices keep the baseband install unchecked.
Just relax and sit back, it would take nearly 10 to 15 minutes for jailbreak to complete. When the jailbreak is complete, your phone will be restarted.
Note: The jailbreak is currently tethered, so the when iPhone is restarted it would be stucked on apple screen, Don’t panic it is normal.
How to Boot Tethered:
This is the tricky part, when I encountered this problem, I searched a lot but I was unable to find the problem as my phone was stucked at apple screen and I was not aware about turning the device off. The power button also doesn’t work in this state. So what you need to do is:
1) Press the Power button for 3 seconds.
2) Now keep the power button pressed and press Home button also keep it pressed.
3) Keep both pressed until your screen is gone.
4) When you see your screen gone, leave both button fast.
5) Leave the iPhone for 5 minutes.
6) Now, open Redsn0w and click Just Boot and follow the instructions onwards.
Now you are done and Cydia is installed.
Making Device Untethered:
Before unlocking carrier, it is mandatory to install the application to make the device untethered. For iOS 5.0.1,Coronais used to make it untethered while for iOS 5.1.1 Rocky Raccoon is induced. By installing this application, you will never need to attach your iPhone with computer to restart. Steps to install are given below:
1) Open Cydia and let it update.
2) Open search and write Rocky Raccoon, after searching install it.
This feature only works with 3Gs with the baseband 06.15.00. After jailbreak, you would observe that No Service is appeared even after inserting any Sim. Use the following instructions to unlock your carrier:
1) Open Cydia, let it update.
2) Open search and write ultrasnow.
3) Download and install, let springboard restart.
After restart, in couple of seconds, you will your Signals back Now you can use any sim with your iPhone 3Gs.
In my next post, I shall tell you about installation of premium iPhone applications without spending a single penny